What is Achilles Tendonitis?
Achilles tendinopathy is pain in the Achilles tendon which is generally caused by overuse. Achilles tendinopathies are most commonly found in people between the ages 30-40.
Signs and Symptoms:
- Pain in the Achilles tendon
- Most common 2-3cm above the heel bone but can also occur where the Achilles inserts to the heel
Causes of Achilles tendon pain:
- Sudden increase in activity
- Tight or weak calf muscles
- Excessively pronation (flat feet)
- Reduced ankle range of motion
- Excessive hill running
- Ice/ heat
- Footwear advice
- Stretching/strengthening regime
- Orthotic management