The decision of which type of footwear to wear is the biggest decision we have to make in regards to our feet. Choosing the most appropriate shoe is often confusing as there are so many different brands and styles available to the public.
At Min-toe Podiatry we can demonstrate and advise you on the best features to look for in a shoe and customise our advice according to your foot type and mechanics.
Here are a couple of tips to get you stepping in the right direction:
- Footwear should be tried on in the afternoon, when your feet are naturally swollen.
- You should always allow a thumb nail in length between your longest toe and the end of the shoe. This is not for growth. It is due to the upper of your shoe folding back when you push off your toes each step.
- Always try on both shoes as most people have one foot slightly bigger than the other.
- Always be prepared to walk away if the shoes dont fit perfectly.
- If you wear orthotics, take them with you when trying on footwear.
- If you are unsure whether a particular shoe is correct for you take them to your podiatrist for assessment.