Ingrown Toenails (Onychomycosis)
What are ingrown toenails?
Ingrown toenails are a common and often extremely painful condition which the nail grows so that it cuts into one or both sides of the paronychium (skin folds next to the nail) or nail bed. An ingrown nail may be accompanied by an infection causing the area to become pussy and even tender.
Signs and Symptoms:
- Pain along the side of the nail
- Warmth of the toe
- Swelling of the toe
- Pus or fluid, indicating infection
Causes of ingrown nails:
- Improper nail cutting
- Improperly sized footwear
- Nail conditions
- Conservative treatment- This involves removing the problematic nail edge which allows it to grow out
- Partial Nail Avulsion Surgery (PNA)- This Is often the most effective and the most comfortable long term solution. This is conducted in our clinic rooms, and involves the permanent removal of ingrown part of the nail.